|Original concept for an awesome 12th century adventure story by unatheblade.|
I’m just glad it’s over and I can get back to reading some seriously overdue library books.
In the meantime, links!
(And, as per usual, you can post anything you think I missed or any self-promotion in the comments, or email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
1. Feeling down? Here’s a list of “17 Reasons Leslie Knope Is The Best Feminist Role Model On TV.” Because damn right she is.
2. You know, I’m not totally sure I agree with this article, but it does raise an interesting point. NPR has a great piece called “The Doctor, An Utterly Millennial Hero”, and it’s definitely worth a look.
3. Hopefully you missed this, but there’s been a fight in the feminist blogosphere over Pacific Rim and the Bechdel Test. Because it doesn’t pass, but it does have one of the best female characters all year, and decidedly one of the best female characters of color in a very long time. Check out “Pacific Rim Has Triggered a Fight Over the Bechdel Test” at Gamma Squad.
4. Speaking of characters of color, “Asian Americans in Jane Austen’s White Sanctum” examines how the inclusion of characters of color, specifically Charlotte Lu, in The Lizzie Bennet Diaries was a big step.
5. Oh the things you learn. Apparently the humanoid Cylons on Battlestar Galactica looked that way because it was too expensive to make them walking toasters. Check out more neat facts like that over on io9.
6. And, finally, here’s a video that’s sort of advertising a Rodarte fashion line, but mostly making tabletop gaming look like the coolest thing ever. I wish I got a unicorn and a tiara every time I played Dungeons and Dragons.
That’s it for this week, but check back in tomorrow for a new Crossover Appeal, and we’ll be back on Monday.