|I cannot for the life of me find whoever made this picture. Please comment if you know!|
This week we're looking at body image, and all the various ways that comes through in pop culture and society in general. Have fun!
1. "They're, Like, Way Ahead of the Linguistic Curve" from the New York Times. It's not exactly body image, but it is self-representation, and how teenage girls are actually the vocal trendsetters and creators of our language.
2. "Malaysia's First Female Shooter Is 8 Months Pregnant and Gunning for Gold" from the Mary Sue. Sure, it's from last year. But it's still super cool.
3. "Why Do You Hate the Shape of Breasts in Plate Armor So Much?" is a seriously freaking awesome article that explains exactly why boob armor is a terrible idea and how armor actually works.
4. "On Pins and Needles: Stylist Turns Ancient Hairdo Debate on Its Head" from the Wall Street Journal. A stylist is going through and actually creating all those weird hairdos we see in ancient art, to figure out how they really work. Pretty cool.
5. "My Medical Choice" from the New York Times. Angelina Jolie speaks out about her choice to get a double mastectomy and what it means for her self-image.
6. "Spock's Advice to a Teenage Girl Will Make You Cry" from Buzzfeed is precisely what it sounds like. And that's great.
7. "The Plus-Size Blogging Craze" from The Daily Beast. Wherein the media finally notices that plus-size people like clothes too.
8. "Men Who Idealize Large Breasts Are More Likely Hostile Toward Women" from the Atlantic. So there's that.
9. "This Trendy 'Strong Is the New Skinny' Thing (And What It Could Mean for the Next Generation of Girls)". What is sounds like. Good title.
10. "Jennifer Lawrence Is Not 'Too Big' To Play Katniss" from Slate. Remember all that body-snarking that came out right after the first Hunger Games movie? Well, here's a reminder of why that's all poop.
11. "Tavi Gevinson Dishes on Anna Wintour, Feminism, and Her Plans for World Domination"from BUST. Gevinson has run a style blog since she was all of twelve, and she's got a really interesting take on fashion and body image.
12. "Ralph Lauren Plus-Size Model Robyn Lawley: I'm Proud of My Body" from The Daily Beast. Personal statement from a plus-size model at the forefront of the fashion industry. Neat.
13. "This Woman Is Too Fat for Hollywood?"from Women and Hollywood. Romola Garai talks about the body-shaming she's dealt with in the industry.
14. "The 40 Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings" from Progressive Boink. Remember Rob Liefeld? He's the dude who draws women...oddly. Check it out and laugh.
15. "John Hamm Is Being Treated Like An Actress. He Hates It." from Slate. This one should make you smile a little. John Hamm got in trouble with the Mad Men wardrobe department for being a little...big, and now he has to deal with people objectifying him, staring at him, and scrutinizing his outfits. Our deepest sympathies go out to him.
And now a video to make you smile. Because Sir Mix-a-lot knows the truth. No matter what your body type, someone out there thinks you are hella sexy.
That's it for this week. Linksgiving Theme Weeks will return next week with a look at the Fake Geek Girl phenomenon. Until then, have a pleasant and relaxing week.